Thursday, October 7, 2010

Food Truck Furor

Food trucks are generating a lot of press these days.  The Post wrote about them last week.  The blogsphere has busily noted every new arrival.   Hot dogs were the only street food choice in DC for years.  The variety of food trucks is a welcome (but controversial) addition to the DC food scene.

One of my friends is running Fry Captain which has led to a lot of entertaining stories.  (Click here for the history.)  Today, I went to the 2010 Curbside Cookout to support him.  I was excited to check out the twenty food trucks and of course, eat some duck fat fries and have a milk shake. 

I went with a friend and my husband.  We arrived at 11:45ish and it was already complete chaos.  My friend and I went directly to the Fry Captain line.  My husband got in line for TaKorean, a Korean BBQ taco truck.  At 12:40, we got our fries and shakes and went to find my husband.  He was STILL in line for the tacos!  I had an appt at 1:30 so we ditched the line and ate our fries and shakes.  It was a yummy, rich treat. 

As I mentioned, the fries are cooked in duck fat.  You have three choices of what to put on the fries: sea salt, garlic sea salt or Old Bay.  We went the classic route and chose sea salt.  There's a variety of dipping sauces.  We tried the truffled ketchup, the sirracha mayo and the chimichurri mayo.  We also had a vanilla shake and a mocha shake.  You really can't go wrong with any of these choices.  It was some good eating.  

I was disappointed that we didn't get to try any of the other trucks because of the crazy lines.  The cook off is going on tomorrow as well.  I suggest you get there early.  Fry Captain sold out of fries by 3pm. 

No comments: