Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Do Over

Last October, I wrote about my desire to redo my guest bathroom. As I searched blogs and magazines for inspiration, I wrote about the fantastic skull wallpaper that I found by Graham&Brown.  After a lot of consideration, I passed on the wallpaper.  Although I loved it, my pragmatism overruled. 

Instead, I used an image from The Sartorialist as my inspiration.  There's something about a sharply dressed man in charcoal and camel that appealed to my sensibilities.  Why couldn't I recreate the look in my bathroom?
I already had the camel travertine tile.  The next step was finding the appropriate charcoal paint.  After trying several samples, I chose Pewter by Valspar.  The final result was exactly what I wanted.  The paint appears to have purple undertones in the pictures.  In reality, it doesn't.  (It's hard to photograph a bathroom with no natural light.  I included the pictures with/without the lights for that reason.)

To complete the new look, I added a poster by MadeByGirl.com and black and white photographs.  The photo of the New River bridge in WV was a wedding gift.  (Thanks Keffers!)  The two small photos are postcards from Capri that I framed.  The ferris wheel photo is from the Esty shop of Bliss Goodloe.  When you compare the finished result (above) to the guest bathroom before (below), you can see why the guest bathroom needed a "do over." 
(How sad are those two little postcards before I re-framed them??)
 
 
*photo of man in camel/charcoal courtesy of The Sartorialist

No comments: