Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Charleston

Folly Beach

March weather in DC is often hit or miss.  Some years we have snow and some years we have Spring.  Lately, it's been snow so I planned a trip to Charleston to visit my brother and sister-in-law.

It was a great weekend to be away.  I was fed up with the state of my affairs and the weather had been terrible.  While my husband and I lounged in 70 degree weather, it snowed in DC.  The escape was exactly what I needed and we had a ball. 

Charleston, as always, was delightful.  My brother and his wife live at Folly Beach, a block and a half off the ocean.  We rode bikes, took a walk on the beach and sat on their deck.  They took us to their favorite wine bar, Bin 152 and their favorite restaurant, Fig.  This is one of my favorite kind of evenings and it was marvelous.

Fig was incredible.  The focus of the restaurant is seasonal, local, sustainable food.  We had many amazing dishes but the highlights were "caper blades" (local oysters) on the half shell and the coddled sea island farm egg with stone crab.  It was as delicious as it sounds.

I also attended the final night of Charleston Fashion Week.  I love fashion so this was treat.  Charleston's Fashion Week has an Emerging Designer competition a la "Project Runway."  The competition was open to the East Coast and over 100 designers applied to participate.  Each night, four designers showed their collection and each night, a winner was chosen.  The final evening was the winners of each night and that's what we attended.  It was a phenomenal experience that left me wanting more.  NY Fashion Week, here I come.   
design by Veritee Hill, one of my favs

All that was packed into two nights!  On Sunday, we drove north to visit my best friend from college and her family who recently relocated from Torino, Italy to Greenville, SC.  Unfortunately, the lovely weather of Charleston turned into a rainy, cold mess in Greenville.

Although we didn't do as much exploring as in Charleston, we have a wonderful visit.  Greenville is a charming city.  My friend taught my husband how to make a vegetable risotto which was outstanding.  We caught up, laughed, talked endlessly about their recent home improvements (which look amazing, btw), drank vino, told stories, drove through downtown, ate an incredible meal at Coal Fired Wine Bar and Bistro, and planned potential vacations.  It was the perfect way to end our trip.  I came back to DC refreshed and ready to roll up my sleeves for the Spring market.  I love vacation!

No comments: